June 5, 2007

Strange Bedfellows

If you've spent any time on Amazon.com (and I'm sure you have), you know that they have a little section on each book's page called "Best Value." There the Amazonians find a companion book to the one you're currently browsing and offer an extra 5% off "Amazon.com's everyday low price" if you buy the two together. You'd think that the Amazonians would pair my two books together, that it would make sense to their little Amazonian brains that if someone is going to buy one of my books, he or she might naturally be interested in buying the other. And be particularly interested if he or she could save 5% by doing so. But, no. Those Amazonians work in mysterious ways. The book that they've chosen to accompany my second book, HOW TO STAY BITTER THROUGH THE HAPPIEST TIMES OF YOUR LIFE, the one that they've decided would appeal to my readers, the title that popped into their heads? THE SEVENTH GARFIELD TREASURY! GARFIELD. The cat. What? I mean, from what I know of Garfield -- not a lot to be sure -- he is bitter. So there's that. But only that. Also, the book the Amazonians paired with HOW TO HEAL THE HURT BY HATING? Dave Barry Does Japan. Another winner. Garfield, Dave Barry and Anita Liberty. Three tastes that taste...really bad together.

No comments: